Why I Don't Drink Coffee
3:04 AM
I can still remember that since I was a child, the reason why I was often visiting the doctor's clinic was due to stomach ache. But, good thing the diagnosis always said that nothing's serious. Maybe, I've eaten up something that's not good, or maybe, I've just skipped a meal. When I became a teenager, it felt worse. I always felt that something is strangling me. I've given up coffee during my college days, despite the sleeplessness. I've always felt like vomiting. I've given up all sodas. I've never liked milk as well. By now, you're maybe thinking that I am acidic.
You are right. But, after college and I started working, it just kept on getting worse. I was only drinking water and juice then. I've always felt like having a mild heart attack. I've started to worry about myself so I've consulted a lot of doctors in our area. I've even requested for an ECG and other laboratory tests. Results were fine. But, there was no improvement. Then, I've noticed a doctor’s name with "gastro" something in his name, remembered his schedule and visited him.
Hoorah! I’ve found the right person. He diagnosed me with “gastroesophageal reflux disease”. Read it again. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Now, pronounce it. Just kidding. It can be simply called in its acronym - GERD. According to the doctor, that’s a chronic disease which means, incurable. The good news is, it can be controlled. Then he handed me a pamphlet about lifestyle changes. The first time I've heard it, it was like a BOMB!!! Ikaw ba naman ang maysakit na di na gagaling! It was due to a lot of stress daw. Yeah, back then I was working as a faculty member/lab facilitator/computer technician with 31 to 37 units of load in a week, plus studying for my Master’s Degree. The doctor said, “You are now paying the price.” How comforting! (my mind in a sarcastic tone).
It’s really depressing. My list of no-nos became lengthier. Sigh...
My condition did not improve that much so I was advised to undergo endoscopy wherein a hose or a tube that looked like a scary snake had been inserted to my mouth down to my stomach! Hinalukay lahat-lahat sa loob ng tiyan ko! I do not intend to scare you. Hehe… It hurt, but not that much. Before that endoscopy, I was advised not to eat for a day, if I remember correctly. I felt soo alone, before, during and after the endoscopy examination. Because nobody was with me... Only me, the doctor and his assistant. But I thanked God for the strength.
Okay, I did not feel 100% alone, because my heart and mind were singing “The Power of Your love” during the examination. It is good to know that there is Somebody up there who loves you and cares for you anytime, anywhere, in any kind of situation.
Okay, I did not feel 100% alone, because my heart and mind were singing “The Power of Your love” during the examination. It is good to know that there is Somebody up there who loves you and cares for you anytime, anywhere, in any kind of situation.
Okay so, I was further diagnosed with hiatal hernia. From what I understood, that’s inborn, at least in my case.
Inborn? Alright. I’ve given up. At least I know.
Inborn? Alright. I’ve given up. At least I know.
It’s so depressing when you’ve come to know that you have a chronic ailment. The truth is, based on my research, many people suffer from GERD, even the doctors. Hehe... So, I was a li'l bit comforted. As the years go by, I’ve learned to accept it and to discipline myself more. I’m still lucky and blessed because it’s not that serious compared to other sickness.
So, what are the symptoms of GERD? In my case these are:
- Bloated feeling
- Trouble swallowing, even drinking water
- Chest pain, feels like a minor heart attack
- Coughing... sometimes when I lie down flat on my back and stay on that position for a long time
- Inflamed throat or larynx or pharynx – that’s why I could not talk with a loud voice for a longer period. And that’s why I’ve also given up singing (naks, singing talaga? Hahaha!) and teaching
And these are the lifestyle changes I’ve made...
- No coffee, no colas, even tea for how many years, small amount of milk
- Eat with smaller meals – I do this... sometimes... (toinkz!)
- Lose weight – no effort
- Alcohol – no effort too!
- Observe trigger foods and eat in moderation – these are citrus fruits, everything with -mints suffix (peppermint, spearmint etc), onions, spicy foods, chocolate (no, hehe), tomato-based foods (hhhmm, no)
- Not eating close to bedtime – oftentimes
- Always loosening my belt
- Raise my head with pillows while sleeping
My condition improves a lot along with lifestyle changes (and some medication too!). But there was one time that we needed to stay in the office to work overnight and I was sssoooo sleepy. The day after, I’ve eaten sardines in tomato sauce for my lunch, then in the afternoon, an office mate bought a brewed coffee. I was so drowsy and at the same curious about its taste and effectiveness, so I asked for a zip. Yes, just one zip...
Then that night, I was rushed into the hospital!
Then that night, I was rushed into the hospital!
Forget the sardines and the stress. I've only blamed the brewed coffee. Until now. That feeling of being suffocated that you couldn't do anything? I was so afraid I felt like I was dying. Never again will I drink coffee!
But coffee is yummy! So this year, I've tried to drink two cups of coffee already, just the mildest flavor. (That’s a lot! Haha!) With all the different flavors that are coming out from the market, I’m becoming more and more curious about the taste. I really love the smell! And oftentimes, I need something to stimulate me. Hello 0% caffeine, and 0% alcohol plus always lacking in sleep – spell d.r.o.w.s.i.n.e.s.s. Everyday.Single.Day. Still, it didn't feel good. Still, I've felt like vomiting in less than an hour. Maybe, coffee and I are really not meant to be.
![]() |
| words4mind.blogspot.com |
By the way, I can eat coffee-flavored ice cream, cakes etc... For those delights, tummy is happy. I don't know why. Strange.

0 comments