SHIELD Anti-Bacterial Soap Review
3:46 PMI don't get sick often. I don’t even remember having a fever for a very long time. And I know one of the primary reasons - I always wash my hands. I wash my hands after using the banyo, after picking up dirty objects, after coming from the outside, before peeling fruits and veggies, before eating, yada, yada. It's kinda natural thing for me. A habit that I don't need to consciously remind myself of. And I make it sure that everyone in the family is picking up the same habit. Lalong-lalo na si Sam na napakahilig magsubo ng daliri. And when Mommy fails, Daddy is very prompt to remind.
Before, I am not really particular which soap to use for hand-washing. Because I believe all soaps are able to wash away the dirt. But maybe, it's much better if we use anti-bacterial or soaps that are specifically formulated for germ-protection. Do you agree?
I remember when I was a child, we'd been using this particular soap (a.k.a the Leading Brand) for hand-washing and bathing. Automatic 'yan. Sino ba endorser noong araw? Baka fan ang mga magulang ko. LOL. Pero in fairness, ang linis-linis talaga sa pakiramdam when we’re using that soap.
But I had a problem, my sensitive skin tends to dry out. So, my derma advised me to stop using it.
Dry skin is a big no-no. Why? Because dry skin can be very itchy and tight. It is also very susceptible to various skin diseases. I am speaking from a very horrible experience, and of course, according to skin experts - the dermatologists.
So now when I buy soaps, I make sure they don't cause skin dryness but what is actually moisturizing.
Recently, I was asked to do a review on two bath soaps - the LEADING BRAND (white variant) and SHIELD Cleansing White. So, these past few days, I (and my family including the yaya) have been trying them out.
Yes I know, after stopping (for how many years actually), I’m using the LEADING BRAND again. Almost all people are aware of this soap. Protection from germs – that’s what it does.
SHIELD is a new one for me. Like the LEADING BRAND, it’s also an anti-bacterial soap. A Google search tells me that it is being manufactured by ACS - the same maker of Pride Detergent Bar and Unique toothpaste.
After personally trying out these two soaps, I have some good news - both didn't dry out my skin! Hurray! SHIELD boasts its Shea Butter content for moisturizing effect. But, it's really a great improvement on the part of the Leading Brand!
The question is - which one is better. We have to compare, di ba?
So, let the battle begin!
Scent
The LEADING BRAND has a very mild scent, but too gentle that you barely notice. With SHIELD, I easily fell in love with the smell. It's also mild but more fragrant. You couldn't help but notice the fresh smell.
Skin feel and texture
While the LEADING BRAND has given my skin a nice, after-bath clean feel, SHIELD makes my skin feel smoother and silkier.
Longevity of the freshness feeling
When I tried the two anti-bacterial soaps simultaneously - the LEADING BRAND to my right arm and SHIELD to the left - SHIELD overpowered the LEADING BRAND and lingered much better. When used in bathing, I smelled bagong ligo even after many hours.
Affordability
As for the price, here’s what I’ve gathered from Waltermart (the same with Mercury Drug):
LEADING BRAND : 60g – P16.00, 90g – P24.75, 135g – P38.00
SHIELD : 60g – P10.50, 90g – P17.00, 120g – P22.50
Wow! Clearly, you can have more savings with SHIELD!
Packaging
I know sometimes, we consider the product packaging in making decisions, especially when we’re not familiar with the product. The more information-rich and "sosyal" the packaging is, the more enticing. I like how SHIELD highlights its benefits by enumerating and illustrating each. Looks more convincing.
Shape
I have included shape as a factor since it tells me which one is more “user-friendly”. Sorry, techie mom here! I like things which are simpler and easier to use. For me, the bone shape makes one hold/grip the LEADING BRAND easily. And it's totally unique!
To make things easier for you and me, I have prepared a table to show which soap makes the better job for me:

I’m actually a li’l bit surprised by the result. Now, I am having a hard time stating my conclusion. Because really, I do not want to sound like I’m favouring one over another. But this is a very honest review and I’m just sharing the result of what I’ve truly experienced.
So, the winner is... the obvious! Haha!
All I can say is - if you are already a satisfied user of one of the soaps I’ve reviewed, you can just continue to patronize the product you are comfortable with. But, if you’re willing to try another and see for yourself, you know what to do. After all, what is there to lose?
0 comments