Home Remedies for Cough Relief

10:29 PM

Ever since I've read that cough medicines are not advisable for toddlers, I've been hesitant to give Sam over-the-counter cough syrup. Last year, there were two instances that he had a cough, but I've never given him any medicine. And then, the cough just went away. January this year, after we came from Hongkong (it's winter season there), he got colds and cough again. I have waited for a week before I've given him cough medicine. Then, his bowels became loose and his stomach upset. How could I forgot that those are the side effects of cough medicine to him? So now, I'm documenting it! He took in the medicine for just a day, then I didn't give him the medicine anymore. I just resorted to the home remedy I know to soothe his cough.

1. Lots of fluids


I always offer him with water. I always remind yaya to give him water. Good thing, he loves fruit juices. Those are good too! Even smoothies and other healthful drinks. Drinking lots of fluids prevent dehydration and help in thinning the child's nasal secretions.

I heard that ice pops made from 100% juice are good. But I haven't tried making one yet.

2. Soup, especially chicken soup or other warm liquids 


Studies have shown that chicken soup can actually relieve cold symptoms like fever, congestion, aches, and fatigue.

But, any soup, tea or warm liquids that your child likes will do. These warm liquids help in soothing and relieving digestion. There are herbal teas that are safe for children but it is better to consult the pediatrician first just to make sure.

3. Elevating the head


I elevate Sam's head using my GERD /pregnancy pillow from Uratex.

Elevating the child's head lessens cough symptoms compared when he's lying down. It can also help him to breathe more comfortably. You can add pillows, rolled or folded towels to raise his head. Another option is the child's car seat or recliner where he can rest better in a semi-upright position.

4. Honey


Honey helps in protecting and soothing the throat, thus taming the cough. You can give him 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey, or you can mix the honey with warm water and a squeeze of lemon juice. (Unfortunately for us, Sam doesn't like honey, be it served in a teaspoon or added in lemon / calamansi juice.)

Don't forget to brush your child's teeth after he takes the honey, especially if it's given before bedtime.

Honey, though, should not be given to a child less than a year old as it can cause a rare and sometimes fatal illness called infant botulism.

5. Oregano

by medicinalherbs4u
I have read from different forums that oregano really works wonders! This is tried and tested by a lot of moms, advised by Sam's yaya and approved by my mother-in-law! Some boil the oregano in water. The juice is then added with some calamansi juice extract and honey for pleasant taste. Other mommies prepare the oregano this way: they place the oregano leaves at the top of the white rice they cook, and then after several minutes, they take the leaves off the rice, squeeze the leaves until they get a teaspoonful of extract, then give the oregano extract to the child.

6. Plenty of rest
Well, this is sometimes challenging. Though the toddlers are suffering with cough, they still can get very active! I think the important thing is they can still take a nap during the day and can get a more quality sleep at night. Don't forget to elevate his head!

Aside from the oregano, I have personally tested the five home remedies above. Then, the cough usually goes away automatically. However, we also need to use our mother instincts. If after doing these home remedies and the cough doesn't seem to improve, it is best to consult a pediatrician. I have read from somewhere that the average length of time before the cough goes away completely (even in adults) is 3 weeks. Somehow, based on my observation, this is true for Sam.

Please note that these remedies I shared apply to toddlers only, not for babies under 1 year old.

Mommies, what are other home remedies for cough that you would recommend?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Tried that and worked for me. momdoc.com

    ReplyDelete